Sunday, August 16, 2009

District 9 Review


*Spoiler Attention : skip this post if you're planning to watch this movie

I used to write a lot of film reviews when I was younger because I think the analyzing process would make me be able to appreciate/depreciate the film even more. However, since I've seen more movie as i grew older, I also have more insight in movies. It makes it really hard to write a decent review to cover every aspect of the film. However, since I've got this blog, I think I should share my thoughts here, at least those films that i enjoy watching and i am writing the movie "district 9" today.

First of all, I must say this movie is really good

Allow me to broke the movie down into different categories so i could express better.

Storyline/plot: Honestly the major story line isn't that impressive. Aliens who are stuck on earth for 20 years wants to found a way out and one of them ends up team up with a mutated human to against the avaricious government who wants to have the control of the alien weapon. However, what it really impresses me is the message behind his story and the way of how its presented. The setting of the story raise up a bunch of interesting questions:

First, Why there are so much similarities between this alien and human? why alien has to similar to human at all? They are aliens!!! they could be in any form and any size that we have not yet seen in our planet. However, In this movie, they are not only having similar body size, body figure, but also similar emotions, psychological mind set and even language as human (these high intelligent creatures use the vibration of air (sound) to deliver messages just like how human does! ha! how amazing!) . I seriously think this is a deliberate idea,humanizing the aliens, to create the metaphor of how strong nations treat the "alienated" nations.

Why those aliens have greater intelligence but they act like savages on earth?

Why don't they have a huge attack against human with their powerful weapon?

I think all of those questions are led to the same question - How Human treats others who are different from us (or majority) when we know/think we have more power over "them".

Character development: Brilliant! One of common problem in Hollywood productions is characters are usually too flat. What I meant by "flat" is in those Hollywood movies, good guys are only presented as a good guy and bad guys only do bad things and they can never "think" and "change". However, in this movie, the depiction of characters' mind are so well presented especially the main character, Wikus, the good guy in the movie, however, as the story goes by it shows more and more flaws in his personality. The depictions of the changes of his mind set are so well done it really surprised me.

Acting: excellent. The movie is basically only led by the main character, Wikus, who is played by Sharlto Copley, originally a screen writer and movie producer, I just can't believe this is his first movie and I seriously think he would trump over most of the so-called Hollywood actors if he tries to be a full time actor. As i said, since there are lots psychological changes in the main character's mind through out the entire movie, his interpretation of the character is so well it perfects his performance.

Cinematography: Very well done as well. Obviously this is not the first movie that shot as a documentary (I am sure lots of people recalls Cloverfield when they watch this movie). However, in my opinion, I think the cinematography in this movie is slightly better then cloverfield because the control of the balance of between being too documentary or movie like is handled very well. Moreover, audience wouldn't feel dizzy after watching it like after watching Cloverfield.

In my opinion, although this movie might not be a classic, it definitely is one of the best movie in the same category. :)

District 9 official Trailer

No comments: