Thursday, August 13, 2009

Princesm as a blog reader - Am I an Orientals??


I dont want to be this kind of "Orientals", ok?
photo by Bernard-z@flickr

Before I started this blog I almost never read other people's blog. It's not only because I don't like reading but also I don't give a shit on other people's life and thoughts. However, after I started the blog I am more engage to this nation of blog and I started to read more and more blog. It proves that i was wrong about what i thought, I do give a shit and I did found some of the blogs are actually rather interesting, like this one, gay banker. Recently he has posted a entry about if calling an Asian an "Orientals" is politically correct, Click here to see the post. After I read that I made the following respond.

Hello, this is my first time leaving a comment here. Hello GB!

First of all i am a Chinese gay guy who is living in a western country (trying to be politically correct.).

I think when it comes to term like that you get to be very careful cuz it falls into the dilemma of labeling and being labeled. It just like gay guys could call themselves "faggot" it doesn't means anyone else could call them the same way, as well as the word "nigger". I am sure lots of "south-east" people would referred themselves as "Orientals" but i doubt they would all enjoy being called "Orientals" by a white/black/who ever not the same race as they are. I would say "Asians/ south east Asians" are much better terms because they are very direct and they just say the place they come from, just like we call European European because they are from Europe. However, the term "Orientals" is so much more complicated. It has so much connotations behind the term and most of the connotation is just based on feeling since "orientals" is an adjective as well. Its like "yes, i am from Asia, but when you call me Orientals i would imagine you are actually thinking me wearing a "Oriental" rattan hat and standing on the "Oriental" boat holding a bamboo and singing an "Oriental" song in a "Oriental" environment " (I know its retarded to think that way but I just do) oh....i think the word "retarded" fall into this dilemma too....sorry for using that

Anyway, I think its very sincere of you to actually take this issue seriously.

by the way, i don't think i would like being called 'Orientals" and i was once being called "color people" by a random guy in front of my place and I just slammed the door. /(> o<)/

No comments: